Tuesday, October 19, 2010

First time the Wheels Fell Off

THAT WAS A FIRST
It wasn't even a race... just a nice long Sunday run with the gang.
45 minutes into a 3 hr run, hitting the second hill of ... Calf cramps! quad cramps! out of breath! WTF??

I felt fabulous otherwise (energy level etc), except that when I asked my legs to push me uphill... there was NOTHING there, like no blood was getting to my muscles.

LOSER!
I bowed out, told the gang they would probably spend the rest of the run waiting for me. I went back downhill and ran relatively flat to finish out a 2 hr run.  Hard to believe someone can feel like a loser only running 2 hours- but I did.

WHY??
Literally depressed at my performance, I spent 1/2 the day trying to find an explanation.  The flu a week earlier ? Recent speedwork? Spending hours on a ladder?.
... Probably all of the above

TAKE HOME LESSON:
So I ask myself :
"Why am I running if I end up mad at myself cuz I wasn't up to par one day?" 
After much introspection I remind myself: 
 " I run for fun, for health,  for adventure, personal accomplishment and socialization."  

Sometimes the fun gets lost in the seriousness of training.
Race season is essentially over, so why not cross-train,  take the pressure off and go have fun!!!
I think I'll go buy some snowshoes... Look up a cool hike , ride my bike,  and maybe even take a dip in the pool.
...And eat cookies : )


Heather

RETURNING to this post I reealize how I need to chllax. I am back at it with the gang and am catching up.   Why?
STRETCHING!!!
MASSAGE !!!
ROLLING !!!! ON the roller
AND I'm back doing  core exercises.
I am BACK on the WAGON!!!! the running wagon that is.  Yeah baby !!

2 comments:

EricG said...

I give you credit for continuning to run and not turing on the car and taking a nap:) Just a bad day! All will be good. Peace

Deanna Stoppler said...

Yes, you should definitely always eat cookies!